We recommend that you print a copy of this Cookies Policy for your records.
- About cookies
- Types of cookies used
- Essential cookies
- Functional cookies
- Analytical or performance cookies
- Targeting cookies
- Third party cookies
- Web beacons
- How to accept or reject cookies
- Copyright, credit and logo
Cookies are data files that are sent between web servers and web browsers, processor memory or hard drives (clients) to recognise a particular user’s device when the user accesses a website. They are used for a range of different purposes, such as customising a website for a particular user, helping a user navigate a website, improving that user’s website experience, and storing that user’s preferences and login information.
Cookies can be classified as either ‘session’ or ‘persistent’ cookies. Session cookies are placed on your browser when you access a website and last for as long as you keep your browser open. They expire when you close your browser.
Persistent cookies are placed on your computer when you access a website and expire at a fixed point in time or if you manually delete them from your browser, whichever occurs first.
Cookies will be set either by our website domain or by third party domains on our behalf. Cookies set by us on our website domain are referred to as ‘first party’ cookies. Cookies set by third party domains or set on or via our website domain on behalf of third parties are referred to as ‘third party’ cookies.
Cookies do not usually contain personal information. Cookies may, however, be used in combination with other information to identify you.
We use first party and third party cookies on our website, and both session and persistent cookies.
If you require further information about cookies in general, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Types of cookies used
We use the following types of cookies on our website:
These are cookies which are necessary in order for us to run our website and its essential functions. We use essential cookies for the following purposes on our website:
- to administer our website.
- to ensure our website functions properly when you interact with it.
- for storing information about your shopping cart and the items you have placed in it.
- for processing payments for goods and services you purchase on or via our website.
- for logging into password protected areas or accessing other secure areas of our website.
- for remembering information you have inserted in a form on our website.
- for remembering the users chosen currency preference for displaying prices on the website.
These are cookies that store information about your preferences and your previous interactions with our website, and recognise you whenever you return to a website, in order to improve your website experience and personalise it for you. We use functional cookies for the following purposes on our website:
- to recognise you when you return to our website.
- to improve your experience of our website.
- to recognise the type of browsing device you are using, including your browser and browser settings, for the purpose of displaying our website to you in an appropriate format.
- to remember your preferences regarding our website’s appearance.
- for the purpose of providing our live chat service.
- to recognise when you watch videos on our website and which videos you watch.
Analytical or performance cookies
Analytical cookies track and gather data about what a user does on a website. We use analytical cookies for the following purposes on our website:
- to analyse users’ access to and use of our website and its features.
- to improve our website, including its usability, functionality, content and user experience.
The information we collect using analytical cookies is collected on an anonymised basis.
Targeting cookies record information about your visit to and use of our website, for advertising purposes. We use the targeting cookies for the following purposes on our website:
- to track whether you have come to us via an advertisement we have placed on a search engine results page or another website and to record information relating to how you came to us such as your geographical location when you accessed our website, the time of day you visited and the device you were using.
First party cookies
First party cookies used in relation to our website include:
|Cookie||Cookie Name||Purpose||More info|
|Session Cookie||PHPSESSID||This session cookie is essential for the identification of a user on Gala Events’s website. This cookie is deleted when you close your browser.|
|Google Analytics||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.||Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites (includes list of cookies used)|
|These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site for our 3rd party chat application, JivoChat. The cookies help to determine when to trigger a chat prompt to the user, and what message should be communicated on certain pages.||Click here for an overview of privacy at JivoChat|
|Currency Checker||currency||This cookie is used to store and remember the currency for prices shown throughout the website during the users’ session.|
Third party cookies
Third party cookies used in relation to our website include:
|Cookie||Cookie Name||Purpose||More info|
|These cookies are used to collect information about the uptime and performance of our website for the purposes of monitoring and addressing any site/server related issues.||Click here for an overview of privacy at New Relic
Click here for New Relic cookies used by Browser
|These cookies are used to display a list of the latest tweets and embedded tweets from the @GalaEventsUK Twitter account on the homepage and other internal pages of the website.||Click here
|These cookies are used to display a list of the latest posts from the @GalaEventsUK Facebook account on the homepage and other internal pages of the website.||Click here
for an overview of Facebook’s Cookies & other storage technologies
|These cookies are used to display embedded YouTube videos from the Gala Management Services Limited YouTube channel on the homepage and other internal pages of the website.||Click here
for an overview of the YouTube Privacy Guidelines
|These cookies are used to determine the showing of the cookie notice to the user, based on whether or not they have previously acknowledged and prompted the notice to be hidden.||Click here
for an overview of privacy & security at SilkTide (creator of the cookie consent notice script)
We and any marketing companies we use also embed web beacons in our marketing emails and on our website. Web beacons are small GIF image files which enable us to track your receipt of our marketing emails, how often you view our adverts or website pages, your location, IP address and browser information. Web beacons are activated whenever you open a marketing email or access a page on our website which contains a web beacon. Web beacons transmit data when you view them but are not capable of accessing any other information on your computer. Web beacons are not stored on your hard drive unless you download a GIF image containing them. Some (but not all) browsers enable you to restrict the use of web beacons by either preventing them from sending information back to their source (for example, when you choose browser settings that block cookies and trackers), or by not accessing the images containing them (for example, if you select a ‘do not display images (in emails)’ setting in your email server).
How to accept or reject cookies
The easiest way to accept or reject some or all cookies used by a website is to adjust your browser settings. If you do not know how to do this, the links below set out information about how to change your browser settings for some of the most commonly used web browsers:
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en-GB
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-browsing-search-download-history-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Clear+Recent+History
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/278835/how-to-delete-cookie-files-in-internet-explorer
- Apple Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042?locale=en_US
Some browsers, such as Chrome and Firefox, allow you to change your settings to browse in ‘incognito’ mode, limiting the amount of data placed on your machine and automatically deleting any persistent cookies placed on your device when you finish your browsing session. There are also third party applications which you can add to your browser to block or manage cookies.
You can opt out of Google Analytics tracking by visiting http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
You are welcome to block the use of some or all of the cookies we use on our website. However, please be aware that doing so may impair our website and its functionality or may even render some or all of it unusable.
You can find more detailed information about cookies and adjusting your browser settings by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org
Copyright, credit and logo